Bath University Guides and Scouts
I am Maddy, a third-year pharmacy student from Bath!
Some fun facts about me:
- I have been in guiding 14 years!
- This is my 3rd year in SSAGO
- I am the current BUGS treasurer and Roman Rally activities officer (yes, at the same time!)
- I’m originally from South Devon but spend almost all my year at university and work in Bath
- I have been ringing the church bells since the age of 10 and was the Assistant Ringing Master in South Devon for 3 years
Reasons why I would be a good treasurer:
- I am the current BUGS treasurer so have experience keeping the BUGS accounts as a charity account with our SU. Becoming a charity will be demanding as a treasurer but having run charity accounts before I understand what the charity commission are looking for
- I am the activities officer for Roman rally so have been involved in the finance and planning of national SSAGO event
- Up until this year I was a leader at a guide unit where I jointly looked after the accounts
- Having sat on a variety of committees, I understand the importance of maintaining good communication and clear job roles!
- I love making a good spreadsheet! But I want to make it simple and easy to understand for all members!
What I want to do as treasurer:
- Having run a rally, I understand how difficult event finance can be, I want to try allowing some flexibility in the cost of rally (within a reasonable range) as campsite and other costs can vary up and down the country
- I want to help clubs running national events to avoid common finance mistakes which could be avoided early on in event planning by creating a more in-depth guide to rally finance with input from people who have run events. As part of this I would create pie charts and other easy to read chart to display information in a simpler way instead of just spread sheets!
- I want to make it easier to access the development fund!! Having clear examples of things that you can get and why they benefit SSAGO
- I want to be able to support clubs which are struggling financially as all clubs get different levels of support from their universities and student unions. I want to ensure that SSAGO can provide support to those who want help and there is clear information available to those looking for support
- I believe that exec should be more accountable to members and you should be able to understand much more what each officer does! I want to make the something similar to the factsheets about each exec role and you should be able to question throughout the year what we are doing and why! I want to help every member understand what exec do and can do for them!
- I don’t think we have enough badges!! Every year people say they want to bring more badges, let this be the year we get them! I want to work with Ruben to develop his idea challenge badges and bring it to reality!